On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Mark Wilden <mark / mwilden.com> wrote:
> On May 27, 2008, at 7:39 AM, Todd Benson wrote:
>
>> Bottom posting tends to take on a more natural conversational feel.
>
> Only if a single email is regarded as a conversation. In actuality, the
> -thread- is the conversation. Imagine if in a real conversation, people felt
> impelled to prefix their remarks with every other remark that's already been
> made.

Yes.  It's a group discussion.  You go to the bathroom during it, and
someone should reiterate for you what had been said.  I'm certainly
against verbose quoting (I try to snip as much as possible), but to
follow the thread easier, sometimes I like to see things without
having to scan through deleted emails or worse, jump to the archive
site for the original post.

> then, I also trim, so it doesn't really matter. What I hate is having to
> scroll down just to see what's been added to the thread.

I think someone said it on this list in a humorous way a short while
back; I forget who...

"- Because it's makes sense.
 - Why should I bottom post?"

...or something to that effect.

On a side note.  Most of my non-techie friends consistently top post
(with the added "benefit" of enclosing at the bottom a non-related
email I sent them weeks ago), so maybe it has a lot to do with who is
talking and what about.

Todd