Hi there Dat, everybody,

On 2000-05-29 Dat Nguyen <thucdat / hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Just learned that Larry Wall declared on 25-May-2000 to cease the
> > > development of Perl. There is no more keyboard key for new special
> > > character. Yes, the famous $#, $!, $:, $ something.
> >
> >I'd take that notice with many grains of salt... I've looked for the
> >original USENet post this was supposed to come from and deja.com found
> >nothing...
>
> Check out the following link:
> http://www.segfault.org/story.phtml?mode=2&id=3905b40e-05c0a760

I did before.. again, there's no talk on USENet:

"In a shock usenet post yesterday, Larry Wall announced a halt..." by MikeGTN <mike / traumatone.com> at the above address...

There's no talk about this in the p5p mailing list (that's perl 5 Porters list, where Perl is being developed).

Besides, there are a plethora of $^A, $^N variables as well (see man perlvar on most unix-like boxes), and ther are a lot of those free for now... :)

> >besides, Larry learning PHP??
>
> Is he really doing that?

I am almost certainly positive he is not.. I don't know him personally, but I have read his conferences available on line several times each... it's not his way, PHP too much bondage for him... (I see him having a look at Ruby, though :-)

> > > And Scriptics has changed to Ajuba, left the Tcl community stunt not
> >knowing
> > > about the future of Tcl.
> >
> >I knew nothing about that...
>
> Check out the following link:
> http://www.ajubasolutions.com/home.html

Thanks, it seems development of Tcl is going to go on, but TclPro won't be their main product anymore... the old scriptics.com page, before redirecting, let's you go to Tcl development (development.scriptics.com)...

As we are discussing in Advogato (www.advogato.org, nice place) there's a place for many different kind of languages that can do the same task... they allow the programmer to think freely on the  problem and concentrate on a good solution... something I, as a language freaky :) really appreciate...

> >From the voices on Deja.com, my bet is that Python and Ruby are going to be
> very loud.
>
> Haven't surfed last week, right?
> Dat

I did.... is that quote mine? I don't remember writing it and it's not my style, even with this bad english of mine...

laters and best regards,
d@