John Carter wrote:
> But unless one or more of those reasons are biting you hard, the
> simplicity of sqllite is a major win.

On the subject of sqlite (and tangentially ruby), and with all you smart
folks on the list, a question:

Does anyone know how to keep sqlite from going to disk so much, or is
that a necessary part of the locking mechanism? Running with strace, the
write() is immediately followed by fsync(). It keeps my disk very busy
for what should be cheap insert operations to the end of a table with no
indexes. Cpu usage is low too (and I'm using SQLite3::Database#prepare
from the sqlite3 gem, to keep query overhead low).

There is :memory: for an in-memory db, but then if you want multiple
processes to access it, I guess you need to write a dedicated server
process(?).

Not only is this slow, but also it could be a killer on our embedded
flash-based devices that can't be rewritten forever.

Thanks for any advice...