-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 25 May 2008 00:27:48 +0900
> Von: "Robert Dober" <robert.dober / gmail.com>
> An: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Re: #plural? or #singular?

> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Dave Bass <davebass / musician.org> wrote:
> Even worse sometimes it is undefined I guess, or caption may play a role.
>
> I can see data.
>
> Maybe some native speakers will tell me that this is not a correct
> sentence, I do not know, but than there is
>
> I can see Data.
>
> Languages (plural) are just a big mess (singular) ;)
>
> Robert
> --
> http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/
>
> ---
> Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
> Ludwig Wittgenstein

Dear Robert and Dave,

well, this is what tree-tagger (see tags output below, for the tagset
see my previous post) says:

I can see data. (noun plural)
I can see Data. (proper noun singular)
England is a country. (proper noun singular)
England are bound to lose the match. (proper noun singular) (nobody is perfect).
English is a language. (proper noun singular)
The English are eccentric. (noun plural)
Languages (noun plural) are just a big mess (noun singular).

Parts-of-speech tagging uses a Bayesian decision model, requiring
training on a set of human-tagged text.
There are large amounts of texts available for many languages, such
as newspaper articles.
The authors of tree-taggers claim about 96 % correct tagging somewhere
in the docs ( can't find it right now).
It's also fast - you can tag an entire novel in just a few seconds -
and it's available for several major languages, not just English.

Best regards,

Axel

-----------------------------------

I	PP	I