On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Lyle Johnson <lyle / lylejohnson.name> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Mark Wilden <mark / mwilden.com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if most people are like you and me: bought it as soon as it came
>> out, but haven't read it yet. :)
>
> Well, I've read parts of it, but given that it's more of a reference
> book, I wasn't really planning to read it straight through anyways. I
> did of course go through it to look at all of _why's drawings, first
> thing.

I too am reading it slowly.  Most of the time it sits ready for a
quick session in the Master "Library" at home.

I think that RPL and the Pickaxe are complementary, RPL covers the
language step by step in depth and really doesn't cover the core and
extension class librarys nearly as well, if at all as the pickaxe.
The Pickaxe is more tutorial.  Ultimately the serious Rubyist will
want both.

I'm think that in someway they are to Ruby what the K&R, and Harbison
and Steele pair of books are/were to C, although that's not an exact
analogy.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby