YEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAA!!!

I did it! I'm back! :-)

Joel, thanks! (I couldn't find my ubuntu cd.)

Gregg Kang
> Albert - you are probably going to encounter unrecoverable damage if
> you have lost /bin. Even the default shell for root (/bin/sh) is in
> the directory that you lost.

I lost 'cp' and 'rm' too. Fortunately for me, I had gazillions of
terminals open with Midnight Commander. I copied the most basic commands
from an old Fedora partition that was mounted (it's always mounted, so I
didn't have to have 'mount'). Its 'bash' didn't work on my ubuntu (it
was compiled against termcap), so I logged in to where my website is
hosted, becuase it uses Debian, and taken 'bash' (which serves as 'sh'
too) from there.

I restored enough commands so that my 'apt-get' worked again.

Then, to find out all the packages that had files installed in /bin/ I
did "dpkg -S '/bin/*'". I reinstalled them all with "sudo apt-get -y
--reinstall install ...".

That's all. My system even survived a reboot!

It was so invigorating an experience! So empowering! I recommend
deleting your /bin once in a while (or, alternatively, installing
'fxruby') for sport.

> first time I've ever used pastebin, and it was to paste bin

LOL!