On May 20, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Stephen Cox wrote:

> LOL. Total bs really. it's the guys who learn all the "nooks and
> crannies" that take a language to the next level. Or would you prefer
> Ruby stays "that language that Rails uses".?

Sure - and I almost pointed out that if you're interested in the
language itself - not as a tool - then that's fine. I was just saying
that most of us do not use Ruby this way.

> I'd prefer to see Ruby on par with the likes  of Perl or Python. I'd
> prefer to see ruby used to write installation scripts, manage system
> processes, and build maps in games like Civ 4 (Python). Not just "that
> rails language".

I really couldn't care less what Ruby is "on par with." I use Ruby
because it gets things done. I've done a lot of work with Perl, and
I'm teaching my son Lua. I'm not a fanboy.

> I applaud the OP for pointing this oddity out. And I hope he continues
> experimenting and posting.

I wasn't criticizing him. I don't think there's anything wrong with
his approach. I was just trying to explain to him why others don't
share his pain.

You're absolutely right that the people who question "why?" are the
ones who make important changes.

///ark