Hi there,

> Perl and Tcl seem to eliminate themselves from the play-off round.

> Just learned that Larry Wall declared on 25-May-2000 to cease the
> development of Perl. There is no more keyboard key for new special
> character. Yes, the famous $#, $!, $:, $ something.

I'd take that notice with many grains of salt... I've looked for the original USENet post this was supposed to come from and deja.com found nothing...

besides, Larry learning PHP?? I think this was just a late April's Fools Day or something... stopping the development for something so silly as not having keys left (specially now that Perl is UNICODE and a chinese keyboard would have hundreds of new characters to use :) Perl has the English package to put 'good' names to variables... if they need more such variables, they can use that...

also looked at p5p mailing list, nobody talking about that announcement... :)

> And Scriptics has changed to Ajuba, left the Tcl community stunt not knowing
> about the future of Tcl.

I knew nothing about that...

> Well, suddently only the two "real" object-oriented languages Python and
> Ruby enter the final round which could take a decade.

Well, Python is not "real" if you mean to be like Ruby... if there's any other sense, Perl is as real OO as any of the other languages... not wanting to enter into a religious war, just trying to understand you...

And I don't think we are closer to a final round... many new languages are seeing the light nowadays, and many have lots of potentiality... just remember Ruby when it was young... the arena was hot as well as today is...

there are many tastes and people will choose their favorites, I don't think it has to be between 2 (see, elections system in Spain, au contraire than USA, is not bipartite, but pluripartite, although the truth is that there are 2 big parties... but last 10 years of goverment was acomplished by the bigger using the smaller ones to get a majority... as you see plurality has power and advantages after all :)

> Dat

Thanks and laters,
d@
Mensaje enviado gracias al correo gratuito de Demasiado Corp.
[ http://correo.demasiado.com ]