"Hal E. Fulton" <hfulton / austin.rr.com> writes:

> 1,200 code samples staggers my imagination.
> Yes, that is a very valid reason for doing one's
> own typesetting.

To be fair, many are just a couple of lines (such as the ones we use
to illustrate methods in the reference section) but there are a lot of
them. It takes a while to pre-process the book text ;-)

> I do hope they're paying you a bit extra...  ;)

Getting rich is orthogonal to writing a technical book ;-), but
yes--they do pay you something per page if you do the typesetting
yourself. In fact, it's quite an amazing process. We e-mail an
enormous Postscript file off to them, they forward it on to their
platemaker, and then print a book with the result. It's a digital
world.

Regards

Dave