On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Phillip Gawlowski
<cmdjackryan / googlemail.com> wrote:

> Culture clash, really. The US (and especially California) are less
> formal than Germany. Heck, English even dropped the 'thou', where as we
> still have the 'Sie'. :)
Rather a generation clash, I used to life in the States and ind South
Africa about 20 to 15 years ago, dude was used between friends,
especially "Hey dude" with a big smile, I feel it is just too personal
;)

> As I've remarked else where: The US and German cultures are significant
I am *not* German, I am only Austrian, as you might know we have some
culture clashes too ;)
> enough to make the differences all the more pronounced.
>
> (Really, when calling a call center, I'm on a first-name basis with the
> call agents in the US. :P)
They better call me Sir, as I do (unless it's a lady ;).
Cheers
Robert

--
http://ruby-smalltalk.blogspot.com/