On 17.05.2008 15:19, ThoML wrote:
>> Although it may well be the case that meaning has changed and / or
>> people use it differently.  For example, I was exposed to the term the
>> first time inhttp://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0118715/and picked up a
>> slightly different meaning.
>
> More references to look up:
> http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/dude

Thanks for that link!  Loads of detail in there.  I liked especially the
sticker "Dude, where's my brain?" - I need to get me one. :-)

>> The term dude is used to describe a friend, comrade, or an associate. It entered the mainstream from California surfer slang about 1970.
>> The word originated in New York City slang of ca 1883, referring to a fastidiously sharp dresser, what the late 18th century called a 'macaroni:'
>
> BTW I found it quite funny.

Indeed.  And I did a quick comparison and found that "dandy" is slightly
older but at least partly covers the same semantics ("A man who is much
concerned with his dress and appearance.").

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/dandy

According to GF "dude" is much more common - at least on the web
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=dude&word2=dandy

Cheers

	robert