Christoph Schiessl wrote:
> For example. Look the following piece of simple Ruby Code:
>
> class ExampleClass
>   def some_instance_method
>     'Called some_instace_method!'
>   end
> end
>
> def ExampleClass.i_am_a_class_method
>   'Called i_am_a_class_method!'
> end
>
> inst = ExampleClass.new
> def inst.i_am_an_instance_method
>   'Called i_am_an_instance_method'
> end
>
> Basically, I am reopening the definition of ExampleClass and adding
> another method. At first I am creating a new class method and
> afterwards I am creating a new instance method (for the object inst
> only). Is monkey patching the correct term for that kind of
> programming style?
>
> How would you call this style of programming? I'm asking because I'm
> quite new to Ruby and currently trying to learn the right vocabulary
> to easily communicate with other Ruby programmers. I am definitely not
> looking for flame war!
>
> Best regards,
> Christoph Schiessl

I would suggest open classes, re-opening classes, and creating the so
called 'singleton' classes (another debate there, you can easily search
for discussions on it). The term "monkey patching" seems to come from
the Python community, where it is not as openly accepted as it is here,
and thus appears to carry a stronger negative connotation.

Just my opinion, though.

-Justin