Hi all. I'm just starting to learn Ruby and have hit a problem that is
being extremely difficult to find information on. When given a line of
code such as:

a = "this", b = "that", c = "those"

Is there a concise and elegant way of describing why variable a is
assigned as an array, but variable b is not? There must be a simple
explanation as to 'why' this is happening. The only description of what
is going on here that I have found is that this is interpreted as

a = "this", (b = "that"), (c = "those")

and not

a = "this", (b = "that", c = "those")

and that the arguments are read from right to left. This hasn't really
helped my understanding, as that much can be deduced just by putting the
line through the Ruby interpreter, and I don't see how reading the
assignments from right to left assigns ["this","that","those"] to
variable a but only "that" to variable b.

Thank you for taking the time to ponder this.
Jeff Hales