On 5/14/08, Kyle Schmitt <kyleaschmitt / gmail.com> wrote:

> I should have realized & was bitwise and.  Interesting how it works
> with nil though.

This thread made me look up NilClass in the docs.  I learned something new.
& is a method of nil, which always returns false.
nil & return(something)
doesn't work because the & method expects an argument, not a keyword...

> I'd rather not redefine puts just to write things in a certain way.

I often do:
puts "error" or exit if condition
which reads a little funny, but it works and is concise.
(I hate reading code where the error handling takes up way more space than
the essential logic)

-Adam