Hello, Garrit.  Thanks for the reply...

On Thursday 03 January 2002 05:28 pm, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Hallo Albert,
>
> Am 2002-01-03 um 18:40 schriebst du:
> > Even as a Linux user, I probably stay as confused about compiling
> > under cygwin as some windows users. I cannot figure out just
> > where the linker is looking to find cygwin-ruby16.
>
> 1. Use the correct linker flag `-L/path/to/librubys.a/' and look
>    if there is a lib named libcygwin-ruby16.a, isn't the name of
>    the import lib librubys.a or was it changed since 1.6.5 and 1.6.6?

There was a file: cygdrive/d/ruby/bin/cygwin-ruby16.dll, which I copied to
the cwd (/pkg/bdb-1.2.7.src).  This allowed the make to complete.

> 2. use `my' ruby-1.6.5 package which is available at this URI:
>    http://familiehaase.de/cywgin/ruby/ and installs the lib and
>    headers and dll in `cygwin-usual' places (/usr/local/lib/ruby/...,
>    /usr/local/bin)

Ah, this sounds like a good idea.  I have found myself wishing it were
installed there.

> 3. Build ruby yourself:
>    ./configure --enable-shared
>    make
>    make test
>    make install

I can do that on Linux at home, but the executable for windows at work was so
handy, with Tk, etc. built in.