On Thursday 03 January 2002 05:22 pm, Gareth Pearce wrote:
> ummm could it possibly be that the dll is in ruby\bin - and your lib path
> on the compile line is ruby\lib ? - but then the name cygwin-16.dll seems
> wrong so maybe you typed that little snippit out incorrectly.

Thanks for the reply, Gareth.  I got it to compile by copying
cygwin-ruby16.dll to the cwd (/pkg/bdb-0.2.7/src).  Why it expected to find
it there, I don't know.  I tried setting shortcuts to the dll, but they don't
work.  I've never built a make file but I think I'm beginning to see some
patterns:  a '-L<dir>' seems to preceed several '-l<file>' constructs.  I
assume that the lower case L names a needed file and the upper case L names
the directory in which the linker expects to find them.  Is that correct?