-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 13 May 2008 02:04:08 +0900
> Von: "Jason Roelofs" <jameskilton / gmail.com>
> An: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: [ANN] rb++ / rbgccxml 0.1.1 bugfix release

> == CHANGELOG
>
> === 0.1.1
>
> * rb++: Added rice as a gem dependency
> * rb++: explicitly requiring fileutils now
> * all: Added ldflags / cxxflags options for passing in other custom
> command line arguments
> * gccxml: Error message about how to fix the file execution flags is
> now consistent across platforms.
>

> == What is rb++ / rbgccxml?
>
> For anyone who wants an alternative to SWIG for generating Ruby
> extensions from C++ header files, look no further.
>
> == Project
>
> Documentation: http://rbplusplus.rubyforge.org
>
> Project Page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/rbplusplus
>
> == Installation
>
> This single command will grab the whole stack needed for rb++ to work.
>
>   gem install rbplusplus
>
> The stack includes three libraries: rb++, rbgccxml, and gccxml_gem and
> also installs rice
>
> == rb++
>
> Rb++ makes it almost trivially easy to create Ruby extensions for any
> C or C++ library / code. In the simplest of cases, there is no need to
> ever touch C, everything is done in a very simple and clean Ruby API.
>
> As this is an 0.1 release, not all of C++ is supported. The current
> constructs that rb++ can wrap are:
>
> * functions
> * classes
> * class methods
> * static class methods
>
> Rb++ allows one to define Ruby Modules and put wrapped code in them as
> well.
>
> == rbgccxml
>
> RbGCCXML allows one to easily parse out and query C++ code. This
> library uses GCC-XML to parse out the C++ code into XML, and then
> Hpricot to parse and query that XML.
>
> == gccxml_gem
>
> GCC-XML (www.gccxml.org) is an application that takes takes the parse
> tree of G++ and constructs a very parsable and queryable XML file with
> all related information.
>
> The third part of the stack is this gem that includes a binary build
> of GCC-XML for your platform, to make it trivially easy to install.
> Platforms currently supported are:
>
> * Linux 32 & 64 bit
> * Mac OS X 10.5 (may have an issue with 10.4 or lower, need to test these)
> * Windows 32-bit via Cygwin
>
> == Requirements
>
> * rice (http://rice.rubyforge.org) - The C++ interface for Ruby
> * hpricot (http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/hpricot/) - Does the XML
> parsing
> * test/spec - For running the tests
>
> == Code
>
> All code is hosted at github
>
> rb++: http://github.com/jameskilton/rbplusplus/tree/master
> rbgccxml: http://github.com/jameskilton/rbgccxml/tree/master
> [...]

Dear Jason,

thanks for your work ! This is really, really nice.
I have a suggestion for the documentation.
Would it possible to include some explicit easy examples in the documentation, to demonstrate how to extend Ruby with a function,
a class , a module written in C++, somewhat like what Mark Volkmann
has done for the tradition C/Ruby extension here :

http://www.ociweb.com/mark/programming/Ruby_C_Extensions.pdf ?

This might save people some time from digging into the test directory
and demonstrate how much easier life becomes through your gem.

Thank you very much agaian for your nice work !

Best regards,

Axel

like eg., the ones
--
Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger geh?rt?