stephen,
             I've never tried it on HPUX, but the stock 1.8.6 source
from ruby-lang.org compiled on irix 6.5 without any intervention
(admittedly, it's got a gnu toolchain installed: autoconf, gnu make
and gcc 3.x installed).  It's a 32 bit install on a 64 bit box, but
considering it required no intervention at all, I'm not complaining,
and I can wait to tweak it.

Having just written that I decided to install gems: it installs fine,
but complains about the socket library not being there.  Humm, guess I
do need to tweak it.

--Kyle