A: Because it makes it difficult to follow the conversation.
Q: Why is top posting bad?

I've fixed the quote, too:

Shane Witbeck wrote:

|> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Phillip Gawlowski
|> <cmdjackryan / googlemail.com> wrote:

|> Well, unless you have Visual C++ 6.0 installed, you won't be able to
|> compile C extensions.
|>
|> One option would be to use the (highly experimental) Windows
|> installer3 recipe, which downloads all you need to compile Ruby
|> (including the MinGW32 GCC compiler), compiles Ruby, and puts it into
|> a sandbox, so that you current installation doesn't get mixed up.
|> With any luck, you should be able to just do a 'gem install rjb' in
|> the compiled Ruby's bin directory, and the gem should install
|> successfully.
|>
|> A quick and dirty guide to getting the installer3 recipe:
|>

| I'm running into the same issue. Are there any other better
| suggestions for a workaround?

Build Ruby with MinGW32, following the recipe posted by Luis[0]. You'll
have to build all native gems, however, and hunt for header files, etc.
if they are required.

If you want to compile a a C extension, you need a C compiler. The
easiest way to get that up and running, is by using the installer3
recipe. Especially since Visual C++ and MinGW32 are not binary
compatible, and you need a way to maintain that, too.

In short: No, unless you can find a Copy of Visual C++ 6.0. Good luck
with that, though.

| It seems this should be a pretty high priority since it prevents an
| install of buildr on windows machines.

High priority for whom? And it doesn't *prevent* the install, it just
means it isn't an *easy* install, that is done by just typing one
command, but instead means to read a bit of documentation on how to get
up and running.

And I've just tested this: jruby -S gem install Buildr is successful.

Just like the documentation mentioned.

[0]
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/1e2f1b9a3d611e3b?tvc=1>
- --
Phillip Gawlowski
Twitter: twitter.com/cynicalryan
Blog: http://justarubyist.blogspot.com

Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing.
~ -- Old Testament
~ -- Proverbs xviii, 22