Yeah..hmm.. well apparently the version of Ruby does a lot more than I
thought, I was trying to manually configure the apache2.conf files and
all this other needless stuff , that the latest version of Ruby on Rails
already does on install, and actually everything really was working out
of the box until I stated changing it haha, I realized .So once I went
back to the original apache2.conf file., phpmyadim worked fine.
BTW phpmyadmin is a really great tool for managing mysql databases, I am
quite capable at the commandline too, but if I am going that route I
might as well use Oracle because it has a really nice command line
interface. Never the less , I like to have a more visual view of table
hierarchy, which I know you can do at the command line, but  its just
more adaptable. Besides all that, I am working on getting thru a
tutorial book on Rails and the guy uses phpmyadmin  and the command line
interface , so in order to keep  up with him , I needed to have both
going.