Hi --

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Robert Dober wrote:

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Brian Marick <marick / visibleworkings.com> wrote:
> Well David at first I wanted to disagree with you, because it is just
> such a nice word ;), you see MP is quite ambiguous in the UK ;), but I
> guess you have some reason to be against the word.
> I cannot share the negative feeling with the word monkey, after all we
> are close relatives, but I guess the most important question is the
> following, and I am asking the teacher here:

I don't dislike the word monkey (and of course none of this has to do
with actual monkeys) but it occurs typically in phrases like
"monkeying around" and "monkey business" and "monkeying with", all of
which have to do with meddling, incompetent, ill-advised behaviors.
"Monkeypatching" was coined specifically to convey these kinds of
connotations. I've heard people argue that it no longer does, because
"we" (as opposed to "them") think "monkeypatching" is not bad. I don't
think modifying existing classes is inherently good or bad, and I
don't like reducing the issues involved to a kind of up-or-down vote
based on whether or not one thinks the word "monkeypatching" is
negative.

> Do you have the experience that the expression MP is confusing for beginners?

I don't know, because I've never used the term "monkeypatching" except
in discussions of the term itself, and it's never come up in a class.

David

   INTRO TO RAILS         June 9-12            Berlin
   ADVANCING WITH RAILS   June 16-19           Berlin
   INTRO TO RAILS         June 24-27           London (Skills Matter)