"stevan apter" <apter / panix.com> writes:

> ruby documentation uses a punctuation convention i've never seen
> before; namely, quoting with mismatched quotation marks:
>
>     `quoted'
>
> i find this quite distracting; my eye stutters everytime it passes
> over something like this.  what's wrong with the standard
>
>     'quoted'

Opening and closing single and double quotes are the correct
typographic convention for printed material - have a look in most any
book and you'll see

  ``Oh, Cedric,'' she cried.

(The name may change, depending on the book).

The Ruby FAQ and reference materials on rubycentral.com are both
derived from an sgml or xml markup, and can be rendered as HTML,
Postscript, PDF, and just about anything else we can find a translator
for. Because we have the potential for producing printed output, we
following typographic guidelines.

Having said all that, is you come across `string' within a code
example, that's a bug ;-)

Regards

Dave