Hi --

On Fri, 2 May 2008, Simon Krahnke wrote:

> * David A. Black <dblack / rubypal.com> (18:56) schrieb:
>
>> Hi --
>>
>> On Fri, 2 May 2008, Ruby Freak wrote:
>>
>>> I am reading some of the ruby files in rails and I an seeing the ||=
>>> method used a lot.
>>> knowing ruby the way I do, I realize that she has lots of magical
>>> surprises and I really want to get to know this girl!
>>
>> x ||= y means:  x || x = y
>
> No, it means: x = x || y

This is becoming a bit of a perma-thread :-)

See Robert K.'s answer, and also have a look at the blog post I
mentioned in my response. It's about exactly why x = x || y is not the
right expansion for x ||= y.

David

   INTRO TO RAILS         June 9-12            Berlin
   ADVANCING WITH RAILS   June 16-19           Berlin
   INTRO TO RAILS         June 24-27           London (Skills Matter)