M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> And does it also mean that if the comments are incorrect, the IDE gives
> you the wrong answer? How do you test for that?

Not as likely to happen as giving the wrong parameter type, IMO.

> I think we should probably keep the holy war (Ruby vs. Ada for large
> projects where large teams need to communicate, tools for such projects,
> etc.) going, because I think it's an important topic.

I'm not familiar with Ada, but I do believe Ruby could use work as a
large-project platform and not just a hacker's language. I much prefer Ruby
to most languages, but I'm tending to Scala now that it has the strength of
the Java platform behind it without the mundaneness of the java language.
Also, because its typing system is stronger than Java's.

> Curiously enough,
> a couple of years ago at a Scheme workshop, I heard some Schemers claim
> that they "consistently" lost speed-coding contests to Java programmers,
> all other things being equal, just because of Java's typing mechanisms.
> So ...

I have to use java at work and find I spend far less time actually typing
code than with other languages. I tend to concentrate more on program
structure and design.