Frank,

The problem is that you're using the 'Cygwin' release of ruby.  I
don't know how familiar you're with Cygwin, but if you're interested
in seriously scripting some useful stuff, you'd have to start moving
away from the windows shell toolset and towards, ahem unix stuff,
IMHO.

But, alas, unix is not the easiest thing to pick up, and for some
casual stuff windows commands are fine.  So to do what you want, you
need to pick up the 'mswin32' build of ruby, which is available at:

http://www.dm4lab.to/~usa/ruby/index_en.html#download

I've tried the xcopy stuff, and it works.

BTW, did you download the installable executable release of ruby?

Have fun.

-Le