All:

Thank you for your messages. If I may summarize the responses:

   The style/formatting of one's code plays no/little part in its quality.
This follows from style/guidelines/formatting having no/little part of
code's readability/understandability.
     Msgs: 29889, 29896, 29913, 29914, 29971,

   There are/can be no useful coding style/guidelines because everyone is
unique. Therefore, there is no/little way to improve productivity through
such things. The collorary is that languages (keeping to the current topic)
ought to allow for as close a mapping between the developer's thinking and
the code as possible and that this increases productivity.
     Msgs: 29914, 29924, 29936, 29939, 29940, 29943, 29971,

   It is not possible to completely enforce "good" style so it is not/less
important to work towards this.
     Msgs: 29939, 29943,

   Software Engineering does not exist. <grin!>
     Msgs: 29943,

   Methodologies and Tools exist independently; completely. Therefore, you
can increase overall productivity by increasing it in either domain because
they will not (negatively) affect each other. Also, Tools can not be
designed with Methodologies in mind: One tool fits into a methodology as
well as the next.
     Msgs: 29935, 29939, 29940, 29967,

   Ruby does actually have some constructs whose design goal is more
towards readability/understandability than functionality (eg. CONSTANTS,
"simple syntax", variable scope shortcuts,etc.). [It does interest me that
this was only brought up once.]
     Msgs: 29977,

I seem to be the odd man out here; I feel the opposite is the case in each
of these (except the last).

thanks everyone for your attention <<q

At 03:43 PM 1/1/2002 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>Hi,
>
>In message "[ruby-talk:29904] Re: Ruby/Python: Software Engineering"
>     on 02/01/01, noone <nanotech / europa.com> writes:
>
>|  Is there any resource which explains how Ruby helps me write better
>code from the software engineering / methodology perspective?
>
>I'm not sure how languages can help you write better code "from the
>software engineering / methodology perspective".  You can do any
>software engineering / methodology using any language.
>
>But conciseness and naturalness of Ruby help you accomplish more with
>less code, so that it leaves you extra time to make your code better
>(probably using software engineering / methodology).
>
>                                                         matz.

Service guarantees Citizenship
Would you like to know more?