Hi --

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, 7stud -- wrote:

> Inbroker Adams wrote:
>> Hello Rubyists,
>> I am new to the language and the community.
>> My first problem is this :
>>
>> i used  the following code :
>>
>> sum = 0
>> [1,3,5].inject() {|sum, element| sum + element}
>> print sum
>>

>> I expected to get 9
>> but instead i get 4
>>
>> I just installed the Ruby 1.8.6 one-click installer on windows
>> and wrote the above commands in SciTE.
>> Any suggestions??
>>

> Don't ever use inject--forget you ever read about it.   Use a hand
> written loop of your own instead.  Your code will be easier to
> understand and it will be more efficient.

inject isn't really hard to understand; it's just an iterator with a
kind of feedback loop into the first block parameter. If you find it a
bit tricky I'd still encourage you to study it and accustom yourself
to it. It's awfully useful.

David

   INTRO TO RAILS         June 9-12            Berlin
   ADVANCING WITH RAILS   June 16-19           Berlin
   INTRO TO RAILS         June 24-27           London (Skills Matter)