IƱaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> I thought that "=" was also a "self-modifying"
> method.

= isn't a method. If it was a method, x=y could not result in x having a
different object_id than before. It could also not result in x having a
different class than before.
What x = y does, is that it makes x point to the same object as y which
doesn't affect the old object x pointed to at all.
Basically methods change the object (or not) and = changes the variable.
I don't think it's possible to have a = method without static typing.

Note though that in "foo.bar = baz" bar= actually is a method on foo and not
an assignment operation.

HTH,
Sebastian
--