Bill,

Thank you for your response. I put myMessage into the buffer and it
printed out the entire message as follows:

From: Highpoint Alumni To: brantley shields Subject: HPU Alumni
Verification Thank you for registering with us. Please click the
following link to activate your account.
http://xxxx.higxxxxnt.edu/~xxxxs/alumni/verify.rbx Your password is:
xxxx

Now as you can see, the #{em} did not print out the the To: statement,
but I'm not sure that it should in this instance. So I made another line
that says this:

buf += "Email is: #{em}<br>" results:
blahblah_blathblah / yahoo.com

So it seems as if em is getting the email address, but I'm still
completely lost as to why I cannot use this string to send the
emailaddress. I've changed the email to something / yahoo.com to make sure
the underscore was not causing any problems but same problem occurs.
Thanks for your time!

Brantley