On Apr 22, 2008, at 10:35 PM, Andres wrote:

> Hi ruby list,
>
> I=B4m a smalltalk developer and now i'm beginning with Ruby. I found
> words like "puts" on the ruby syntax that i don=B4t understand.
>
> The basic object paradigm formula is "receiver + message", an emisor
> send a message to a receiver.
>
> Is puts a message? if the answer is true, then what is the receiver?
> and when is "puts" implemented? if the answer is false, then What is
> "puts"?

puts is a message
self is the receiver

If you look at the inheritance structure you'll
find the class 'Object' at the top.  So any
instance method of Object can be called via
the implicit use of 'self' as the receiver.

The method 'puts' is actually defined in the module
Kernel and Kernel is included as a mixin to Object
so that instance methods defined in Kernel are
available to all objects via the inheritance/method
lookup rules.

Gary Wright=