On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 04:40:07 +0900, Michael Litton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we just started playing with ruby and ActiveRecord a few days ago at
> my company and we're having major troubles of outputting xml fast
> enough.
>
> Pure xml output from ActiveRecord::Base takes approx 20s for 500
> objects (that are small and simple). Does anyone have any pointers?
> How fast is REXML?

Slow as hell. We just did a refactoring today, going from xml to json to pass AR data between apps. We achieved an order of magnitude speed increase and profiling showed 70% of the time on the client side was spent parsing xml and 30% on the server side creating the xml reppresentation.

If you're stuck with XML I'd look into a replacement for rexml.