On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Michael W. Ryder
<_mwryder / worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Robert Klemme wrote:

>  Coming from a background in computers from the 70's when the language was
> much closer to the metal I never had any problems with Go To or Jump.  In
> assembler there is no way to not use Jumps for loops or conditional
> processing.  Fortran and Basic were much the same way.  I believe Knuth's
> original works were from this era and of course a lot of his code is in the
> MIX assembler.
Very true, but as I have mentioned one has to be disciplined.
>  I can see the reason to eliminate jumping around in code when possible but
> think they can sometimes make a program easier to read.  I find it easier to
> read a program that says "If error goto ERROR" over trying to figure out
> where a Break command goes.
Then maybe your methods are too complex, what about refactoring ;)
Honestly I try to avoid methods with more than 10-12 LOC (I do not
succeed all the time) but up to 20LOC might be acceptable.
You really *should* be able to see where the break goes.

This all said, Knuth's MIX code is for sure easier to read than one of
my early Ruby methods :(.

Cheers
Robert

--