Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 21.04.2008 23:28, Michael W. Ryder wrote:
>> I chose this after reading about it in Knuth's 2nd volume.  I wanted
>> to try to implement the binary greatest common divisor algorithm in
>> Ruby. It took a little effort but I was able to implement it without
>> any Go Tos.  It is hard to go from languages that require jumping
>> around in the code to one that doesn't.  It's a totally different mind
>> set.
>
> And, does it feel better?  For me it does - for Knuth apparently not.  I
> haven't felt the need for a goto in ages.  I also rarely use continue
> and break in loops.  My impression is that quite a number of cases where
> either is chosen can be greatly improved and actually simplified by
> choosing a different loop condition.  My 0.02EUR...

Coming from a background in computers from the 70's when the language
was much closer to the metal I never had any problems with Go To or
Jump.  In assembler there is no way to not use Jumps for loops or
conditional processing.  Fortran and Basic were much the same way.  I
believe Knuth's original works were from this era and of course a lot of
his code is in the MIX assembler.
I can see the reason to eliminate jumping around in code when possible
but think they can sometimes make a program easier to read.  I find it
easier to read a program that says "If error goto ERROR" over trying to
figure out where a Break command goes.