On 21.04.2008 23:28, Michael W. Ryder wrote:
> I chose this after reading about it in Knuth's 2nd volume.  I wanted to
> try to implement the binary greatest common divisor algorithm in Ruby.
> It took a little effort but I was able to implement it without any Go
> Tos.  It is hard to go from languages that require jumping around in the
> code to one that doesn't.  It's a totally different mind set.

And, does it feel better?  For me it does - for Knuth apparently not.  I
haven't felt the need for a goto in ages.  I also rarely use continue
and break in loops.  My impression is that quite a number of cases where
either is chosen can be greatly improved and actually simplified by
choosing a different loop condition.  My 0.02EUR...

If you want to read up on the matter, Wikipedia has quite an exhaustive
coverage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_programming

Kind regards

	robert