Emanuele Ricci wrote:

> Thank you for answering.
> My app runs in a linux gentoo environment on an arm processor embedded
> device.
> I cross-compile ruby with an arm-linux compiler in a gnu linux host.
> The device has only 64Mb of ram and the last allocation of 8Mb happening
> when the process is near 30-32Mb results in a NOEMEM error.

Interesting ... not many people I know use Gentoo embedded. I run Gentoo
on my workstations and tried the cross-development chain on my Gumstix.
But it was a lot of work and the "native" Gumstix development tools were
a lot lighter weight.

Do you absolutely have to have Ruby 1.8? You might be able to use Ruby
1.6, which has fewer "features" and is a bit lighter weight as a result.
"miniruby" might also work. And there are other lighter-weight languages
-- Forth, of course, and Lua.