On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 23:15 +0900, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Phillip Gawlowski, 16.04.2008 02:08:
> > Unfortunately, I don't know how one should implement pure Ruby
> > implementations since PostgreSQL and others would need to provide a Ruby
> > interface (at least, as far as I can see).
>
> The Postgres JDBC driver is 100% Java and definitely does not rely on any external DLLs or libraries, it speaks the native PG protocol (AFAIK there is no such thing as a "Java interface").
> So why shouldn't this be possible with Ruby as well?

It is certainly possible. It would require a huge amount of effort,
however. Not just up-front effort, but lots of maintenance effort, as
well.

There is also a question of scope. What are the limits to this line of
reasoning? Are we going to re-implement every system library, or just
some of them?

Regards,
	Jeff Davis