M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Emanuele Ricci wrote:
>> Thank you in advance,
>> Emanuele Ricci.
>
> That may not be Ruby's fault entirely. In many cases, the size of memory
> chunks delivered by "malloc" and its friends is determined by the
> compiler or operating system. I've worked on systems where you got the
> next higher power of two, for example. If you asked for 5,000 you got
> 8192, if you asked for 65 you got 128, etc. And many modern systems
> won't give you less than a physical page.
>
> A physical page on most x86 operating systems is 4096 bytes, so 8 MB is
> 2048 pages. There is also an option to run larger pages in Linux. What
> OS and architecture are you on?
>
> P.S.: I'm cross-posting this to ruby-core -- that's where patches are
> discussed.

Thank you for answering.
My app runs in a linux gentoo environment on an arm processor embedded
device.
I cross-compile ruby with an arm-linux compiler in a gnu linux host.
The device has only 64Mb of ram and the last allocation of 8Mb happening
when the process is near 30-32Mb results in a NOEMEM error.