M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Speaking of Windows and seams, I discovered I have a spare genuine
> Windows XP CD-ROM! I had forgotten that I bought it, so I have built a
> Windows virtual machine from it snugly nestled inside my Linux
> workstation. When  I get my current (Linux and Ruby) project finished,
> I'm planning to start testing the new One-Click. Meanwhile, I think I'm
> going to put up the Windows PostgreSQL/Ruby/Rails thing and see if I can
> get it to function in some kind of coherent manner, despite its age.

Well ... don't say I didn't try. :) I installed PostgreSQL 8.3 and the
Rails add-on that comes from a third party. I was not able to get it to
function, however. What I know so far is that it is derived from the
One-Click Installer version 186-22. However, it installs in C:\pgRails,
but all of the "bat" files from the One-Click still are looking for
C:\Ruby, and it doesn't put the right path in the PATH environment
variable. So the "gem" console, which is usually how I access things
from the One-Click Ruby, doesn't work.

The Rails piece of it may be hard coded to actually function, but I
couldn't find any documentation on how to start that up, so I didn't get
anywhere with it. A couple of months ago I tried it and posted some
comments on the creator's forum. They are looking for volunteers. :)

By the way, if it matters, the Windows PostgreSQL 8.3 installer loads a
copy of the Visual C++ 2005 run time.