Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Apr 15, 9:08 pm, Phillip Gawlowski <cmdjackr... / googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>

>> | At this stage of the game, I think a pure Ruby PostgreSQL (and MySQL)
>> | interface has some serious advantages over struggling with numerous C
>> | compilers for Windows, Mac, Solaris, etc.
>>
>> No kidding. Looking at the ruby-installer ML, most of the difficulties
>> are with Ruby's *external* dependencies (readlines in particular).
>>
>> And these issues cascade, for example, into PostgreSQL (some OpenSSL
>> dependency weirdness, I take it from Luis) in conjunction with Ruby.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't know how one should implement pure Ruby
>> implementations since PostgreSQL and others would need to provide a Ruby
>> interface (at least, as far as I can see). Ah, the joy of interop..
>>

> A pure ruby implementation involves:
>
> Usage of Ruby/DL, which is a bridge between C API from DLL and Ruby
> and lot of understanding of the internals of the adapter API.
>
> Last time I used Ruby/DL was a nightmare since sometimes what
> developers states they export quite differ from reality, so you ended
> diggin into the utility source code to catch the expected result in
> your side.
>
> Lot of works, and still will be slower than a C ruby extension acting
> as bridge between the DLL and your Ruby code.
>
>> Sadly, when it comes to C, I'm an end-user of provided binaries, as C
>> makes my head hurt just by reading C, so I can't be of much help to
>> Luis' efforts. :(
>
> Don't worry, I take a lot of painkillers after staring a C function
> for a long period of time...
>
>> I have to get some C skills under my belt, methinks.
>>
>> However, the OCI is making progress in switching away from VC6.0, though
>> progress is slow.
>>

> I commented to Jeff he should ask for a Integration requrest and I can
> help him get the adapter working on both implementations for the time
> being.
>
> Anyway, I'll love to know if Ruby on Rails will support this adapter
> or not, since all the work will be useless if all the Railers came and
> yell about their PostgreSQL database don't work for them :-P
>
> Regards,
> --
> Luis Lavena

Speaking of Windows and seams, I discovered I have a spare genuine
Windows XP CD-ROM! I had forgotten that I bought it, so I have built a
Windows virtual machine from it snugly nestled inside my Linux
workstation. When  I get my current (Linux and Ruby) project finished,
I'm planning to start testing the new One-Click. Meanwhile, I think I'm
going to put up the Windows PostgreSQL/Ruby/Rails thing and see if I can
get it to function in some kind of coherent manner, despite its age.