On Apr 15, 2:43 pm, Jeff Davis <r... / j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:41 +0900, John Carter wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Reid Thompson wrote:
>
> > > see ruby-pg
>
> > >http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pg/
>
> > Interestingly enough that link also serves up both flavors,
> > ruby-postgres and ruby-pg, without comment. Is there any discussion
> > anywhere on the relative merits?
>
> ruby-postgres had some serious maintenance problems, and was unable to
> even build against PostgreSQL 8.3, and my various patches were not
> applied.
>
> So, I started maintaining a fork of ruby-postgres with my most important
> patches applied, and started a rewrite to address some of the more
> fundamental problems. The rewrite is called ruby-pg, and I consider it
> to be the best driver available, and it's intended to replace the
> others.
>
> > Or is ruby-pg the One True flavour?
>
> As far as I can tell, it's the only actively maintained PostgreSQL
> driver for Ruby. It's fairly new, but:
>  * it's well documented (RDoc)
>  * offers almost all the functionality available from libpq (which is a
> lot of functions)
>  * I'm responsive to bug reports
>  * I have an expanding set of rspec tests.
>
> The biggest problem I am having with the project is making it work
> seamlessly on windows. Several people have tried to help me, but I don't
> think the problem has been solved, and I haven't received many specific
> suggestions to make it work.
>
> If anyone wants to help me with that, please contact me.

Jeff, I managed to get do_postgres (DataObject.rb project) working on
Windows with PostgreSQL 8.2.

Why you don't fill a Integration Request [1] at RubyInstaller tracker
and point with the instructions to get the code, the dependencies and
everything.

I'll be happy to provide patches to make it work properly under
Windows (both VC6 and MinGW). See my post on PostgreSQL [2]

[1] http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=22895&group_id=167&func=browse
[2] http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubyinstaller-devel/2008-April/000284.html

Take care,
--