> Hmmm. I suppose we could run the java version of the ruby parser through
> the java bytecode->parrot bytecode translator. Dunno what that'd look like
> for speed, though.
>

> Dan
In any case for now the ruby to java bytecode is a little bit of wishfull
thinking
what we do right now is interpret the AST in java, like I said we now have a
port
to java of the C interpreter but with a little bit more object orientation
to it (as
java allows).
Dan,
I don't think this would be a good idea since it would loose most of the
advantages
of parrot for ruby which is to be a VM built for dynamic languages.  Dynamic
languages translated in java bytecode usually have performance problems and
other problems due mostly to java being made for static languages.

Benoit
PS: I'm happy that you are taking so much interest in ruby Dan, I see parrot
as the future for ruby for plenty of reason, one of them being that it gives
ruby program access to a wider install base and a potentially bigger body of
extensions.