--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:43:20AM +0900, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:41 +0900, John Carter wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Reid Thompson wrote:
> >
> > > see ruby-pg
> > >
> > > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pg/
> >
> > Interestingly enough that link also serves up both flavors,
> > ruby-postgres and ruby-pg, without comment. Is there any discussion
> > anywhere on the relative merits?
> >

> ruby-postgres had some serious maintenance problems, and was unable to
> even build against PostgreSQL 8.3, and my various patches were not
> applied.
>
> So, I started maintaining a fork of ruby-postgres with my most important
> patches applied, and started a rewrite to address some of the more
> fundamental problems. The rewrite is called ruby-pg, and I consider it
> to be the best driver available, and it's intended to replace the
> others.
>
> > Or is ruby-pg the One True flavour?
>
> As far as I can tell, it's the only actively maintained PostgreSQL
> driver for Ruby. It's fairly new, but:
>  * it's well documented (RDoc)

Is there good actual use documentation, rather than only basic class and
method documentation?

>  * offers almost all the functionality available from libpq (which is a
> lot of functions)
>  * I'm responsive to bug reports
>  * I have an expanding set of rspec tests.
>
> The biggest problem I am having with the project is making it work
> seamlessly on windows. Several people have tried to help me, but I don't
> think the problem has been solved, and I haven't received many specific
> suggestions to make it work.

That won't prevent me from using it when I start doing some serious
PostgreSQL work with Ruby in the near future -- but I hope you get it
working anyway, of course.

> If anyone wants to help me with that, please contact me.

I doubt I'd be much help, but if I think of anything while working with
your module, I'll definitely let you know.  There's an outside
possibility I might have to port something to MS Windows at some point, I
guess.

Isaac Asimov: "Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is
completely programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest."

--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1

--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1--