On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 08:41 +0900, John Carter wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Reid Thompson wrote:
>
> > see ruby-pg
> >
> > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pg/
>
> Interestingly enough that link also serves up both flavors,
> ruby-postgres and ruby-pg, without comment. Is there any discussion
> anywhere on the relative merits?

ruby-postgres had some serious maintenance problems, and was unable to
even build against PostgreSQL 8.3, and my various patches were not
applied.

So, I started maintaining a fork of ruby-postgres with my most important
patches applied, and started a rewrite to address some of the more
fundamental problems. The rewrite is called ruby-pg, and I consider it
to be the best driver available, and it's intended to replace the
others.

> Or is ruby-pg the One True flavour?

As far as I can tell, it's the only actively maintained PostgreSQL
driver for Ruby. It's fairly new, but:
 * it's well documented (RDoc)
 * offers almost all the functionality available from libpq (which is a
lot of functions)
 * I'm responsive to bug reports
 * I have an expanding set of rspec tests.

The biggest problem I am having with the project is making it work
seamlessly on windows. Several people have tried to help me, but I don't
think the problem has been solved, and I haven't received many specific
suggestions to make it work.

If anyone wants to help me with that, please contact me.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis