7stud -- wrote:
> Rob Boellaard wrote:
>> problem solved, it was a file permissions issue for the Person file. I
>> guess the webserver runs as a different user.
>>
>>   thanks anyway,
>>
>>   Rob
>
> Yep.  I was doing some tests, and I came to the same conclusion.

I guess we might as well post the solution for future searchers.  To
write to a file from a cgi script,

1) The folder containing the file needs write and execute persmissions:
rwx-wx-wx.  To change the permissions, first cd to the directory
containing the folder.  Then issue the command:

$ chmod 733 MyFolderContainingTheFileIWantToWriteTo

If you want to read from the file later then, you will need read
permissions as well, so do this:

$ chmod 777 MyFolderContainingTheFileIWantToWriteTo

That sets the permissions to read, write, execute for all users.

2) The file needs write permissions, e.g. rwxrw-rw-.  So cd to the
directory containing the file and issue the command:

$ chmod 766 FileNameYouWantToWriteTo