On Apr 10, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Chad Perrin wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:28:59PM +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In message "Re: OT: "Unix" in Japanese"
>>     on Thu, 10 Apr 2008 23:17:58 +0900, Chad Perrin
>> <perrin / apotheon.com> writes:
>>
>> |Since I figure there are probably a few Japanese Unix hackers on
>> this
>> |list (Matz at minimum), this might be the place to ask:
>> |
>> |How do you "spell" the word "Unix" in Japanese?  Do you use some
>> kind of
>> |katakana formation (like ユーニクス, perhaps), or is there
>> Kanji for it,
>> |or do you use romaji . . . or something that I've missed because
>> I didn't
>> |get much sleep last night?
>>
>> We spell UNIX as UNIX for most of the case.  We pronounce UNIX as
>>  "ユニックス", which is YU-NICK-S, just in case you can't read
>>  Katakana here.
>
> Thanks to both you and T K for your answers.  I'm kinda surprised
> at the
> geminate consonant use.
>

>> |While I'm at it . . . how is Ruby usually represented in Japanese?
>>
>> Ruby the language is Ruby.  Sometimes people use Katakana (ルビー)
>> against my intention.  We pronounce it as Ru-Bee.
>
> . . . and thanks for that clarification as well.
>
> --
> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.apotheon.org ]
> W. Somerset Maugham: "The ability to quote is a serviceable
> substitute for
> wit."
Linguistically speaking, Japanese generally do make distinct R and L
sounds and sometimes something in between, but do not distinguish
between them. Romanization generally uses the letter 'r' but the
sound could be and in some cases must be and 'L' sound.
The cases where it is strictly an 'L' sound? rya りゃ ryu りゅ
ryo りょ
As for computer terms, the English word will do unless there is a
Japanese native word that is used 表示 or ひょうじ or
hyouji  is "View" as in the View menu. Some words are transliterated
such as "File" ファイル but the English word would generally be