On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Alex DeCaria
<alex.decaria / millersville.edu> wrote:

>  Thanks.  My disenchantment with Ruby/Tk has to do with the fact that the
>  main documentation I have is for Perl/Tk, and trying to translate that
>  for use with Ruby was painful, and involved a lot of trial and error.
>  FXRuby appeals to me because it sounds like there is actual
>  documentation for it directly for use with Ruby.

Yes, there is actual documentation for using FXRuby with Ruby. ;)

>  I'm also concerned with portability.  If I write a nice app that I want
>  to share with someone else, and if they are not a knowledgable computer
>  user, which GUI library would be easier for me to talk them into
>  installing on their machine so they can run my application?  Am I
>  correct in thinking that FXRuby comes as part of the Windows 1-click
>  installer?  That would be an advantage.

FXRuby is indeed included in the one-click installer for Windows. It's
also available as a binary gem for Windows and Mac OS X (Leopard),
which means that installation on those platforms is relatively
painless. Rather than trying to provide binary gems for the myriad
options in the Linux world (so many different OS/compiler/Ruby
versions), we currently depend on building the code there from source.
But it's certainly portable in the sense that it works on most
operating systems.