On Apr 8, 2008, at 10:55 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Song Ma wrote:
>> This is the insightful point I was expecting after following such
>> a  long
>> mail chain. Now I am implementing one Rails application which
>> requires to be
>> supported by both MRI (1.8.5) and JRuby (1.0.3, compatible with MRI
>> 1.8.5).
>> I found so many inconsistencies between these two "Ruby". (Or
>> Rubies?). Even
>> the MRI test cases can not pass in JRuby. That's painful.  I
>> remembered
>> Charles Nutter asked Matz in RubyConf 2007 if there is going to
>> have any
>> specification for Ruby. But apparently it doesn't happen.
>
> There are partial test suites/specs out there, but probably no
> single one that's "definitive". I haven't heard much about the BFTS
> (Big Formal Test Suite) recently.
>
> The last rumor I heard was that the "canonical" Ruby test suite was
> most likely going to come out of the Rubinius project. Can someone
> confirm or deny that? I haven't been tracking Rubinius recently.

The specs being created as part of the rubinius project are being spun
off to a separate project called rubyspecs. I don't think there's a
website yet, but chatter on irc indicates it will be launched within
the next few months.

These specs are already heavily used by both rubinius and jruby. Rumor
has it that the IronRuby project is also using them. There is hope the
Sapphire Ruby fork project will use the specs too.

The only major project which has shown no interest in using them is MRI.

cr