On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Isaac Gouy <igouy2 / yahoo.com> wrote:
>  --- Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
>> I haven't gone back to the Alioth shootout web site in a long time,
>> because the problem was originally reported at least a year before it
>> was fixed.
>  It was fixed at the end of October 2005, your mailing list complaints
>  were in June 2005 - although you were still wrongly claiming it was
>  broken April 4 2006.

I wasn't wrong, in that case. Your text was still taking itself far
too seriously as of April 2006. Frankly, the runtime-problems have
been minor issues compared to the seriousness with which people take
the shootout. Look: we all know that benchmarks without context are
crap, and the way that the Perl submissions for some of the synthetic
benchmarks were written proves that. The one thing that something like
the "benchmark game" can't do is provide context, since the context of
benchmarks is a person's specific application needs.

The single benchmark I pointed out was symptomatic, but the problem
was ALWAYS that the shootout took itself too seriously, which
encouraged idiots to take it too seriously. And yes, *that* message
has been constant in my criticisms of your pet project, Isaac.

>  > No, it's a lot more than name calling. It's still treated far more
>  > seriously than it deserves to be treated.  Since I haven't looked at
>  > the "benchmarks game" in a while (I don't visit places that are
>  > useless), I don't know if your text is any better than it was two
>  > years ago (the last time I wasted any time there) to make it clear
>  > that no one should take anything presented on the "benchmarks game"
>  > seriously. I'll assume for the moment that you have improved it and
>  > that now it's because people like this author are stupid and take
>  > something like the "benchmarks game" seriously when it never should
>  > be.
>  Bad mouthing something you haven't even looked at in 2 years, seems
>  like you already have the material for - an indepth essay.

I didn't actually badmouth the shootout this time, Isaac. I said that
the authors of the posts were idiots for using the shootout in a
serious comparison.

I'd say the same thing about Rubyists who wanted to use the shootout
to prove their point in the positive. It is, after all, just a
worthless game and not worthy of any time wasted on it.

-austin
 * austin / zieglers.ca