> There is only so much that can be done to prevent spam, short of
> charging $ per post.
That would not only reduce spam(mers) but also legit users ;-)

Reminds me of captchas.
They were implemented to reduce bots posting, but in the end they
just annoy me... I wasted so many times with captchas that if
I fail on first try, I leave the site. (Mind you, I am talking
about captchas with graphics. Some are soooo difficult to solve
without making an error ... soon we will have more bots solving
these tests than humans, as bots could reuse "problem
solving code" to solve that... BORG bot net ;) )