On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Isaac Gouy <igouy2 / yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 9:00 pm, Austin Ziegler <halosta... / gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Worst of all, the author treats both theAliothshootoutand the Zed
>  > Shaw rant as things worthy of positive attention, when both are, well,
>  > worthless. TheAliothshootouthas been known to be worthless for
>  > years yet periodically some idiot treats it as serious.
>  Once upon a time, you made a specific complaint that the execution
>  environment, on what used to be called the computer language shootout,
>  stopped a Ruby Ackermann program from doing it's stuff - that problem
>  was fixed.

I haven't gone back to the Alioth shootout web site in a long time,
because the problem was originally reported at least a year before it
was fixed.

>  Unfortunately, since then your comments about what is now called the
>  benchmarks game don't amount to more than name calling.

No, it's a lot more than name calling. It's still treated far more
seriously than it deserves to be treated.  Since I haven't looked at
the "benchmarks game" in a while (I don't visit places that are
useless), I don't know if your text is any better than it was two
years ago (the last time I wasted any time there) to make it clear
that no one should take anything presented on the "benchmarks game"
seriously. I'll assume for the moment that you have improved it and
that now it's because people like this author are stupid and take
something like the "benchmarks game" seriously when it never should
be.

-austin
 * austin / zieglers.ca